Hide online status and last seen on WhatsApp (2022)
We’ve explained the step-by-step process (with pictures) to turn off your last seen and online status on WhatsApp in this guide. We even added an unofficial tool that you can use to hide online status on WhatsApp Web. Use the table below to check which method is right for you.
How to Hide Last Seen on WhatsApp (Android)
Before you can hide your online status in the messaging app, you must first learn how to turn off your last seen status on WhatsApp. And here’s what that process looks like:
1. Open WhatsApp and tap the ellipsis icon (three dots) in the upper right corner. Next, select the “Settings” option.
2. Then navigate to “Account -> Privacy” to access the last seen status parameter.
3. Now press the “Last seen and online” privacy setting. After that select “Nobody” under the “Who can see my last seenoption to hide the last time you were online on everyone’s messaging app.
To note: You can also select the option “My contacts except…” if you want the last seen time to be displayed to select people from your contact list.
How to Hide Online Status on WhatsApp (Android)
Now that you know how to hide the last seen time on your WhatsApp account, you can also choose who can see if you are online on the messaging app or not. Here’s how you can appear offline on WhatsApp for everyone while still texting whoever you want:
To note: The ability to hide your online status is currently only available to WhatsApp beta testers on Android and iOS. For this guide, we used WhatsApp version 184.108.40.206 on the OnePlus 9RT running Android 12.
On the same settings page as the “Last Seen” status, you will now see a new “Who can see when I’m online“option. Just select”Same as last time” here.
And now, if you selected “Nobody” as “Last Seen” status, then no one will be able to see the “Online” text under your name in the chat window while using WhatsApp. This way, no one will be able to spy on your online messaging activity and wondering why you’re not responding to them even though you’re active.
How to Hide Last Seen on WhatsApp (iPhone)
The steps to turn off last seen status in Meta’s messaging app on iPhone are pretty much the same as on Android, so let’s see how to go about it:
- Open WhatsApp on your iPhone and tap “Settings” in the bottom navigation bar. Then go to “Account“settings.
2. Then go to “Privacy -> Last Seen and Onlinein the “Account” settings.
To note: The “Last seen and online” setting and the option to hide them are currently only available in beta versions of WhatsApp. You will only see the option to disable “Last Seen” on your device.
3. Finally, select “Nobody” under the “Who can see my last seen“Option to hide your activity on WhatsApp. Now other users won’t be able to see when you were last online and using the messaging app.
How to Hide Online Status on WhatsApp (iPhone)
Similar to Android settings, you will need to select the “Same as last time» option under «Who can see when I’m online” section in the privacy settings. To note: Since this feature is only available for beta testers at the moment, we tried it on WhatsApp beta 220.127.116.11 on iPhone 11 running iOS 16.
Also, as you can see from the screenshot, WhatsApp mentions that disabling last seen and online options would mean that you will not be able to see the status of other users.
How to Hide Last Seen and Online on WhatsApp PC
Now, if you are someone who relies on WhatsApp Web to communicate with your friends and family, there is nothing to worry about because you can turn off your last seen and online status as well. On your Mac, Linux, or Windows PC, here’s how you can hide last seen status:
Hide Last Seen Status on WhatsApp Web
1. WhatsApp Web includes an official way to turn off last seen status, and it’s similar to Android and iPhone versions. So, open the web application, click on the icon with three dots (ellipses) and select “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
2. Next, click on “Privacy” in the Settings menu.
3. After that, head to the “last seen“privacy setting.
4. Then, as we did in the Android and iOS sections, select “Nobody” under the “Last Seen” setting to stop sharing the exact time you last opened WhatsApp to check your messages.
Hide Online Status on WhatsApp Web
5. Now, the ability to hide your online status has not officially reached the web version of WhatsApp yet, but you can use a third-party tool for now. So let’s see how it works.
6. First, download the WA Web Plus for WhatsApp Chrome Web Store extension (visit). It’s a popular Chrome extension with a stellar 4.6 rating and 21,000 reviews. Click the “Add to Chrome” to install the extension.
7. Once the extension is installed, click on the “Extensionto the right of the address bar and select “WA Web Plus for WhatsApp” from the drop-down menu.
8. Extension settings will now open. Under the “Enhancements” tab, enable the “Hide online status (invisible mode)“Option to appear offline during chat. You can also enable the “Hide typing status” to make your WhatsApp activity even more private.
To note: It takes a few seconds for the extension to become active after opening WhatsApp Web on your desktop, so you will appear online for a second or two. We suggest you wait a bit before proceeding and start typing messages to your contacts.
And that’s all. People will no longer see the “Online” tag under your contact name when using the messaging app. They wouldn’t even see the typing indicator if you enable said feature and use the web app for all communication purposes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does being online on WhatsApp mean they’re talking to someone?
The online status under a contact’s name indicates that they are currently using WhatsApp, but it does not explicitly mean that they are talking to someone. They could have just left the messaging app open on their phone. Or could check status updates, set up fingerprint lock on WhatsApp, and more.
Can I hide while online on WhatsApp?
WhatsApp not only lets you turn off your last seen status, but also hides your online status. This means that you can use the messaging app without worrying about others seeing that you are active on WhatsApp.
Learn how to appear offline on WhatsApp
So yes, these are all the methods you can use to block someone from seeing you are online on WhatsApp in 2022. You can respect your privacy while chatting on the messaging app and appear offline to all the users. However, keep in mind that you will also not be able to see their online status once you enable this privacy setting. However, you can always backtrack to turn off the feature. Also, we suggest using the WhatsApp web extension to hide your online status right now instead of waiting for the feature to come out of beta. So, was this guide helpful to you? Let us know in the comments below.